Thursday 7 January 2010

Project: Video Jockey - Stop-motion

Even though it is rather late to be researching into anything right now, I figured I should at least take a look at a few examples anyway just so my idea can be as good as it possibly can be within it's restrained time limit.

Punch Drysdale


I was looking for something exactly like this. A showcase of a regular morning routine being displayed through the wonderous (new word) potential of stop-motion :D. It's more 'how' they take advantage of stop-motion that I find interesting and useful for ideas on the techniques I myself could use for my video. The way they remain stationary as well gives me some ideas about remaining in one position throughout the video regardless. Or maybe do something where everything remains still, yet things happen. For example, I could be making myself some tea (even though I don't like tea) and rather than showing me pouring it the milk in the mug, the glass of milk could magically empty out and the milk just pops right in the mug. Basically I'd be taking out the process and only showing the results.



ALARM


While this is not the kind of stop-motion I want to use, it does have nearly the same exact idea I have about a morning routine in a comedic style. What I really find interesting about these short films is that they almost never use any words, and simply let the actions speak for themselves. It kind of lets you get into the flow of the movie because you're only hearing a steady flow of sounds rather than an abrupt voice popping out every now and then.

It's a typical morning where the person doesn't want to wake up, but is continuously disturbed by several forms of a wakeup call. The way all of them eventually collaborates, it's almost like an orchestra reaching its climax. Then you realise this isn't an ordinary morning when he pulls out the Desert Eagle .50 and shoots the clock right in the face. From then on it seems to be relatively normal with the exception of some ninja-like skills being used to perform simple tasks such as fetching a glass of milk. Then he slowly realises he's drifting into a nightmarish world of ever-moving wakeup calls and intense toast-making.

What I really like about this is how there are all these slightly out-of-the-ordinary scenarios being created in such a casual form that they almost seem normal.



www.motionserved.com/Gallery/SAAB/292464
This one works well with my other idea for a video where I show the process of something being created from paper and then being brought into the real world. I doubt I would be able to create something as smooth and as realistic as this, but to show a clear transition between the object within the paper popping out of the paper and becoming real is my goal. There's one thing that I really like though, and that's the usage of sound. They don't just use the music as the audio, they add the sounds of each action like the light bulb being flicked. It really adds to each action being done and lets you get a feel for what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment